Thursday, January 15, 2009

What I'm really thinking.

Today while I was working at the post office a woman came in to buy two money orders. One she wanted to pay with her debt card and the other with cash. She did not have her money ready and was taking a very long time to just figure out what she really wanted. I did manage to wait on one or two other customers while she figured out her transaction. I was glad when she finally pealed off the last of the dollars so I could be finished with her. My frustration with her was contained on the inside but had she not been standing there (for a long time) filling out her money orders I may have been tempted to comment to a coworker about the difficulty this woman seemed to be having with such a simple task. When I looked up again..there she was back in my line. "Did I fill this out right?" She hadn't so I voided the money order and started over.I very carefully instructed her on the proper way to fill out her paperwork. She went back to the counter to fill it out and then came back to me at the counter. "Thank you for not making me feel like an idiot." she said. "Ouch." I thought.
You see I said all the right words, I acted kind and patient made her feel like she was ok. But in my heart I was ugly. Even though she never knew it, I knew that I had sinned against her. I was a hypocrite in the truest sense of the word. Who am I to judge this woman because she was not capable of doing something that I see as simple. Why would I want to speak to a coworker about her? Why after being a Jesus follower for more than 30 years do I still find myself to be so unChristlike that I embarrass myself. I guess I still need a Saviour . I know I am still a sinner.

1 comment:

  1. Soooooo painfully true for all of us! I am so good at hiding it... but my attitude is filthy so often.

    ReplyDelete