Monday, January 26, 2009

January 27,1974





Thirty five years ago tonight Steve and I went to our "pre marraige counseling". What this consisted of was about thirty minutes of John Flemouth, Steve's mom's pastor giving us advice on marraige. I had just turned 18. Steve was 20 and as a male still had to have his mother sign the liscense for him because he was not 21. The advice that we can remember was this "don't buy your wife an appliance for her birthday or anniversary." I have fought against that advice for 35 years. Appliances are cool. I'll take them. But this year we got something we both wanted. A good kitchen trash can. It's metal not plactic and is quite sturdy. Honestly, I like it.
So, John Felmouth had a heart attack that night and was not able to preform the wedding. Some guy we never met showed up and we did double vows. The one's we wrote and the one's he brought. I hated my hair and the stupid headpiece but at the end of the day we were married. Of course Steve had quite a lot to drink (BC) and spent a good deal of time in the parking lot of the motel talking to some random people. I was inside not even able to get into the shower because I was sewed in to my dress and needed steve to cut me out of it. We got married on a Sat. drove to my new home in NJ on Sunday and it was back to work for Steve on Monday. We didn't take a honey moon for ten years. When we did Melody threw up on my feet as she was kissing me good bye. It rained the whole seven hrs. of our trip to the windjammer. We were on a motorcycle. The main sail ripped on the ship. Melody went to the emergency room. Max dropped Steve's tractor off his work trailer and we had a great time!
So now as we celebrate 35 years marked with hard times and good times the good times win. We have three beautiful daughters who gave their hearts to Jesus. We have three pretty amazing sons in law who also love Jesus. And let me tell you about my 7 (no 8) incredible grandchildren......

2 comments:

  1. Happy anniversary, Mommy and Daddy. I love you guys! (and I enjoyed reading this)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary! You are too funny. I'm glad I know you!

    ReplyDelete