Friday, January 16, 2009

There's one in every family.












There is one in every family! And Josiah is his name in our family. Grandchild #6 made himself known right from the start.
Gwenn was two and a half weeks late with this little (huge) guy and she was pretty unhappy about his delay. I was not able to go to Raleigh until after his birth because I needed to save my vacation time so I could go with Nick to get Nico in Haiti. That was not how it happened.
Steve and I were downtown Manteo for first Friday. It was a beautiful June night and over dinner at Magnolia Grille we were excited knowing Gwenn was finally in labor and anxious for the phone call. She did call and share that she had just delivered a very large 9lb 7oz Josiah. We walked the docks and shared our happy news with friends. Then the second call came "Mommy, there is something very wrong with the baby. It might be his heart." I packed my bag and 4 hrs. later was at Rex in Raleigh. The room was filled with people. People who loved Gwenn and Nick and were there to support them. Awesome people from her church to whom I am forever indebted. I got catch a quick peek at Josiah as they wheeled him out of the hospital to transport him to Duke. I stayed with Gwenn that night until they released her the next morning. I remember Gretchen and Jenny showing up that night. Melody nearly nine months pregnant herself waited for word in PA. It was an awful week but God showed up. On day four Josiah (whose name means God heals) had open heart surgery on day 4.Before the operation we took turns staying overnight at the hospital. He stopped breathing once and my husband held me as I cried and the doctor and nurses worked on him. It was a few more weeks before Gwenn and Nick could take Josiah home. He was born June 1st and his brother arrived from Haiti on July 20th. Not much time for that little guy to be the center of attention.....but he found ways...
Josiah is a healthy strong adventurous toddler. He can handle himself in any crowd and let you know when he wants something. He is a singer/dancer/comedian. I remember crying out to God with everything in me for his healing on one of those many trips to Raleigh. My God is faithful to deliver. I know that not all babies are healed and that pains me. But I also know that God had his purpose in Josiah's heart condition and also had His purpose in His healing.
"Abba, it is with such deep gratitude that I thank you for sparing Josiah's life. No doubt some of the children in his PICU unit did not survive. I pray now for their families.I especially pray for the grandmother of Caleb. I pray that her grandson got the transplant he needed. I pray that she will know you as the healer.Grow Josiah up to be a man after your own heart. Fill him with your Spirit from a early age. Use his strong will to stand up for those who have no voice. Thank you for his healing and for allowing us as a family to know this trouble. Use what we have been shown to bring glory to your name."


No comments:

Post a Comment