Sunday, May 3, 2009

Solid Rock


"My Hope is Built on Nothing Less"
by Edward Mote, 1797-1874
1. My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus' blood and righteousness;
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus' name.
On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand.

2. When darkness veils His lovely face,
I rest on His unchanging grace;
In every high and stormy gale
My anchor holds within the veil.
On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand.

3. His oath, His covenant, and blood
Support me in the whelming flood;
When every earthly prop gives way,
He then is all my Hope and Stay.
On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand.

4. When He shall come with trumpet sound,
Oh, may I then in Him be found,
Clothed in His righteousness alone,
Faultless to stand before the throne!
On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand.


This morning our good friend and elder,Jim, preached at our church. He spoke about Christ being the solid rock and used this song to remind us of the foundation of our faith. We can not trust in what we see or be overcome by the storms we face. But where it took me was...
Two weeks ago to the land purchased for Haitian Children's Home in Haiti. We hiked the land. It was all rock. But it was not an easy walk. The foundation was stable. I was not. It was a hard walk for me being a lot older than the rest of the team. But my age was not the factor as much as not trusting where to step and being afraid of my footing. There was a young Haitian boy who moved effortlessly over the lava rock. He did not seem even a little winded.
Had HCH bought different land it may have been more easily transformed into the home sites for the homes that will be built there. But when hurricanes come, not if but when, these houses will be strong against the prevailing winds and driving rains.
The rock was not the problem. It was that I was unsure of myself upon this rock. If each day I returned to this rock my walk would become like that of a goat with sure footing and a graceful climb.
I can trust Jesus, He is a firm foundation. But I must go back to Him again and again and again if I am to truly know how to gracefully stride. He does not change. I change. I can make my walk easy or hard depending on how familiar I become with standing on the truth of this foundation. To be apart from Christ is the place of sinking sand.
To stand on the rock is not as comfortable sometimes as sinking our toes into the sand. Sand is constantly moving, shifting, changing. Not suitable for long term standing. So Lord help me keep my feet on the rock and to trust you. For you are my strong foundation.

2 comments: