Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Parent of a Missionary+the wonder of Skype

I think about Gwenn and Nick and the children a lot and wonder how life is in Haiti. I am blessed that I have always had the kind of relationship with my children that we talk often. Not always ever day often but close to it. I am blessed that Gretchen and her family are close by. Melody, Chris and Evie are pretty far away but that considered,we get to see each other several times a years.(thank you chirs :)And even Chris will call me sometimes.(mostly really late at night when a:he is driving home from some job and he is bored and he know i will be awake or b:is calling me late at night when everyone else is sleeping so they wont know that he actually calls his mother in law!)
I am fairly used to not seeing Gwenn and Nick all the time but I always knew we could get in the car and be with them 3-4 hrs. later.Sometimes we would meet half way and pick up the kids for a visit with Nanny and Grandad and Gretchen and her tribe.
Now that I have been to Haiti I know that it is really not THAT hard to get there. But it is still another country and it is not like visiting in the US. Gwenn has called me a few times and it was so awesome to talk to her. We chat on facebook too. But now I have downloaded Skype and I can see the children and they can see me! It is so George Jetson I can hardly believe it! Ok, I have a pretty cheap camera and it's hard sometimes to clearly see and the Internet service in Haiti is not exactly what you call reliable but I do see my grandchildren! I am waiting to see the damage on my pretty grandson's face where he kissed the pavement in a fall...maybe that is why they keep the lights so low at night.(that or maybe it's because there is only one small light in the room. it is Haiti after all)
Last night the cousins got to visit with a very poor connection. They could not quiet get the concept that you have to take your turn to talk and then wait for a response. Sometimes the connections is so slow that Gwenn just makes faces at me. She makes me laugh. She makes me miss her more. She makes me miss her less..
and the skype alert just popped up to say that she is now on line....I think I'll give it a try :)

3 comments: