Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Faith in the Playhouse



OUR AWESOME PLAY HOUSE

Today I was reading the faith chapter in Hebrews and then read a devotional by Oswald Chambers about faith. He was saying that faith is a gift.
I see that faith as big as a mustard seed when planted grows more faith.
I keep a baby monitor turned on in the kitchen when the children are playing in the play house. It's kinda fun to ease drop but I really do it so I know that they are okay. The door handle in the play house is a little messed up and sometimes cause the door to seem to be stuck closed. One day Abbie was playing out there with Nico and I hear her telling him "Oh no! It's stuck! we can't get out!" and she starts crying. Of course I went right out and opened the door and reminded her that I was listening on the monitor and all she had to do was say "Nanny, the door is stuck. Can you come help me?" A little while later I heard "Nanny, the door is stuck. Can you help me? OH NO! SHE CAN'T HEAR ME!! and she started to cry. A few seconds later I opened the door again and explained to her that just because she could not hear me did not mean that I could not hear her.
Yesterday, she went to play once again in the play house. A while later I heard "Nanny, the door is stuck. Can you come help me?" I went right out and Abbie said "Did you hear me when I talked to you?"
Slowly she is getting it. Each time I could hear her. Each time I went quickly to help her. The first time there was complete panic because she did not even realize I was there. The next time she knew I was there but could not really trust that I had heard her. The third time she readily accepted my presence but still expressed a little doubt that I had heard her. Next time she will have more confidence that when she calls I will answer.
So it is with God. God deposits that seed of faith in us. At first we don't even recognize His presence. The seed grows and it is not our actions that make the faith grow but God's reaction to our cry for help. We see him show up time after time and slowly our confidence grows and our faith becomes strong. So much so that we don't have to see Him to know He is there. We don't have to heard Him to know He will answer. We just know because time after time He has shown Himself faithful even when we had no faith at all.

3 comments:

  1. Reminds me of poor little Much-Afraid...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your insights. I know I've told you that before...but I really love your insights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna (Kristi's friend)May 23, 2009 at 7:08 PM

    Awesome!

    ReplyDelete