Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Journal entry from Haiti-Friday

I am glad I wrote down my thoughts each day while I was in Haiti. I wanted to continue that when I got home but I guess it is easier to just write my thoughts here. Friday: A young man pushes a wheel barrow down the street. The sun rises in the east but the ocean lies to the west! Wow! I just noticed that! I have only known the ocean to be to the east of me before this. I hear a chicken cluck and now a rooster crow. "Before the rooster crows twice you will have denied me three times." It is 6:30 Am and already the streets are waking up. A man is wiping down a large red truck with a rag until it shines. A preteen girl arrives at the gate of our next door neighbor with a bag in her hands. The bag is filled with charcoal and money exchanged. A very thin dog waits outside the gate. When did he last eat? The smell of diesel fuel. I am praying "Lord, I want to experience this will all my senses. I hear things, I see things, I smell things, but Lord help me to remember a touch." At that moment I feel a tender squeeze on my shoulder as Nixon leans down and kisses my left cheek- "Good Morning."he says and I offer up a silent prayer."Thank you Lord for that touch from you." I taste the sorrow of knowing my time here is soon to be over.

No comments:

Post a Comment