Sunday, May 24, 2009

Grow old along with me. The best is yet to be. A new grill.


Today Steve and I went to Home Depot to get a grill. They were on sale for Memorial Day. What grills on sale have to do with soldiers sacrificing for our freedom is beyond me. Seriously...but I digress.So we decided to not go back to the $99.00 variety because that would be like a dog going back on his vomit. Just not pretty. One season and they rust out. Which is really not similar to a dog and vomit.It's more like a penny in battery acid or something like that.
So we get this grill on sale for $200. It's nice. Four burners and one of those pretty much useless side burners. I reject the floor model because the stainless steel top has a mark where a sticker has been and it marred the surface somewhat.After all if you are paying $200 for something it shouldn't be all messed up before you even use it.They ofter to put another one together for us. Of course we accept and wander around the store while we wait. I want to get an outdoor showers cause the grandchildren are forever dumping buckets loads of sand down my drain when they bathe. We don't have the same idea about how this should work so I postpone the project until a son in law or two can help me figure it out. Not Nick cause he is in Haiti and I don't think plumbing is one of his mad skills.Figuring out how to ride a tap tap to the hospital is what he does best. I know this because Gwenn said that on facebook today.
So we go back to the garden dept. where said grill has been assembled and is waiting with a box containing a nice new grill cover to protect our shinny grill from the weather. What it really need was someone to protect it from the truck. It fell down twice on the way home.It wasn't scrathed too badly. And here is the great part.We didn't get all freaked out. The first time it was like "what was that??" We pulled over and there she lay. Face down in the bed of the truck. We pick it up and strat over. A few minutes larer "Crash!!" and down it goes again. I know you are wondering why we did not have proper tie downs. Well when the grandchildren wanted to pretend that they were horses and pull each other around in the Radio Flyer wagon Grandad had to get rope from somewhere. He had the perfect thing in the tool box of the truck. I bought a handi-dandi 12 pack of bungee cords.They cost $6.97. They did not work so well.
With this frustration Steve and I never got riled. We didn't point fingers. We didn't stress over the a few scratches in the grill.)Even though I rejected the floor model, these were after all our own scratches.) We were thankful tonight to eat our steak cooked over this nice new grill.
We also cleaned out the shed today. Long over due. Steve moved all the heavy stuff and did all the sweating. I picked through all the boxes and sorted keep from toss or sell.Anyone want to buy some of Melody's cassette tapes..??? How about 3 copies of the same English Lit book from her freshmen year at college.Melody, why 3 copies??
I could also sell you her journal from that year but that would not be nice. Actually, it might be. She is a great writer. Steve and I did not argue even one time about which pile to put something in. It is great to grow old together and have a relationship where you work together and not argue. So if you have been married for 35 years, don't argue with your spouse.Life is too short to waste on blame shifting, petty arguments and wasted words. Be friends, it's better that way.

2 comments:

  1. Well, of course the scratches are ok - they add character - and, like you said, they're YOUR scratches. Hal and I haven't quite figured out the working together without stressing thing - but then again we've only been married 7 years (almost) - so I'm presuming there IS hope. We don't argue too much, but we do fuss sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this post. But I would like to remind you that it would be a GROSS invasion of my privacy to read that journal.

    And I didn't take English Lit my freshman year of college. So blame someone else. :)

    ReplyDelete