Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Haiti update.

Tonight I was standing on the roof top porch and heard "BonJou" (sp??) Madame Denise. A young teenage girl I had met on my way to church saw me as she passed by. It felt so strange and so good to hear my name called out in this wonderful, busy, loud city of Jacmel. Shortly after one of the wonderful young men who live downstairs came to the gate ( we don't really have doors we have gates) and said that there was someone asking for me downstairs. I went down to find a young deaf man waiting on the front stup. We just stood and visited for several minutes. It was just a nice little friendly visit. I have been here for a half of a week and I am already feeling welcome and comfortable.
Today Danny took me and my daughters Gretchen and Gwenn to visit the deaf school. Jean Claude the teacher for the younger deaf children introduces us to the the director and we sat and talked for a while. JeanClaud speaks very good english so that was great. It is very interesting to me that even though I can not speak to most of the Haitian people I can talk with the deaf Haitians. It is very cool. It broke my heart to see how very little the teachers here have to work with. Steve from Manteo Booksellers donated some beautiful sign language books for our trip and these were such a blessing to give to this teacher. The only teaching aides he had in his classroom were two posters with hand drawn signs illistrated on them. I asked "What would you like to have for your class?" He said "I would really like to have sign language flash cards. Then I could copy them and send them home with the students."Flash cards! He didn't ask for some fancy computers or some high tech equipment. The man needs flash cards! It makes me cry just to write this here. The older classes also need visual aides like posters and maps and well everything. It is interesting to me that his students do so well. I was very impressed with them when I meet them in church.If any teachers are reading this PLEASE when you change out things in your classroom don't throw teaching posters away. Send them to me and I will sent them to Haiti.
In other news the home project is going very well. I think there may be pictures posted on Gwenn's blog. You can connect from mine. It is a beautiful big house that is right behind the house that rapper Wycliff ( I think that's his name) uses when he is in town for meetings.He is a very big deal here in Haiti.
We did some serious hiking on Monday to see the land for the Haitian Children's Home and I was seriously sore afterward. But it really is beautiful and worth the pain.
God is doing awesome things. Thank you for your continued prayer. Hope to post pictures soon.

1 comment:

  1. I love you and am so blessed by your heart for God's people. You are in my prayers. I pray that God overflows your cup with more and more of his grace and love to share while your there. May you never grow tired or weary. You are a very special lady and I am so blessed to have you in my life.

    Love and Blessings,
    Christina Thompson

    ReplyDelete