Monday, October 19, 2009

A Day at Raymond Beach, outside Jacmel, Haiti and stuff






(note to reader...no spell check again!!)
Sunday after church we packed up the pick up with Gwenn, Nick, Ester, Nahomie (the two Nannies)the six children and myself and headed for the beach. Unlike in the states it was not such a big deal. We took two towels to share.It's a lot of work to wash towels here, everything is washed by hand. That's it, just two towels and the people. No car seats here. The kids and I piled in the back of the pick up. Nick was driving and they started chanting something about "Go faster PaPa Nick!" (not in English so that is a loose translation) Then the kids would scream. Listening to my six year old grandaughter Nia was amazing. Not only does she speak fluent Kryole but she often will translate without being asked. (Speak first in one lauguage and then switch to the other so everyone can understand her :)The water was very warm but Gwenn commented about it being a little chilly.The little Haitian boys played naked on the beach as if they did not know that they were. It seemed almost like Adam and Eve in the garden. Until sin entered the world they did not know they were naked.These boys are naked innocents. I was taking a lot of pictures of my grandchildren when two young boys approached me. They wanted their photo taken. Shortly I was surrounded by maybe 10 teenage boys wanting me to take photos of their karate skills. They kept on posing and I could not make them understand it was a video camera. I lost the shots because without my glasses I could not tell that it was not recording. Gwenn and Nick were piling everyone in the truck and the boys wanted me to stay so they could show off for the camera.It is so funny how open people are here.
Sure there are many who will see that I am 'blanc' (white) and put out their hand and ask for money and say things like "I am hunrgy." It is so hard not to just stop and get them food. But you can't.I think of Jesus when he said "The poor you will always have with you." I could give money to every person who asked for it and at the end of the day the poor would still be here. It is hard to wrap your head around.I need to be delibrate in my giving so that I can change what I can change. I can't change it all.Others who approach me not asking for money I think are just curious about me. Not me, per sey but me the white person. Today I went into the store with Gwenn and a young man, maybe 15, began to speak to me. I told him in Kryole that I do not understad Kryole, I am American and I speak English. He said " What is your name?" I told him, we shook hands and he walked away. There is not the same social rules here.It is kind of refreshing.
I also got to go to what is called the iron maket today.We walked from the house a very short distance. Gwenn needed diapers for Josiah. It can only be compared to a flea market but way more crowded.We had to weave your way in and out of people and fruit and wheel barrows full of stuff with men pushing them and whistleing a high pitched whistle to let you know to get out of the way.We reached a place with diapers and Gwenn asked "How much?" the reply was fifty Haitain dollars. Gwenn said "I give you 40." The woman said "45" Gwenn said "No" and walked away. The woman called after her "Madame!Madame!" Needless to say she got her price. ( About $5.00 American)
I spent the morning with Nico, Josiah and Nia playing outside and protecting them from the sharp little teeth of their beautiful puppy Bigsby.What a great time just to hang out with them and get to know their developing personalities.
I am very impressed with Gwenn here. She drives like a crazy Haitian (but not as crazy as Nick!) She talks back to people on the street. A man asked her for $ for food and she said " I see you can afford ciggerretts.You should buy food." It's like in Haiti people say all the things you want to say in America but don't dare. (Let me clarify that Gwenn is in no way unkind, she is just wise to the ways of this culture.)
I visited the deaf school today and was surrounded by all the deaf students. We had a great little visit with lots of laughs. I will go back tomorrow to meet the younger childen and sit in on their class.
Tonight as a seasonal storm passed through Gwenn collected buckets of water in the kitchen where the roof leaks. I am talking serious leaks here. And water also came in the back door. When I get home I will post videos that don't really do it justice.But it's ok.Yes it will be nice when they can be in a house that does not leak but for now, this is home. Home to Gwenn, Nick, 6 children, two Nannies and a cute black puppy. It is comfortabe and safe and there are 3 meals a day.There is singing and laughter, tears and hugs. You can climb the fruit trees to get your snack food, little fruits the size of grapes that taste like candy.If you are Fritzie you only want your "Papa Nick" to climb the tree and pick the fruit for you.It's a hard life. It's a good life. It's a simple life. It's an honest life.
I know my days will pass quickly. I also know I will start to plan for my next trip here. I am excited for whatever adventures await me tomorrow. God is good and His covering is sweet.

1 comment:

  1. Those stories about Gwenn made me laugh out loud!! Maybe it's just her New Jersey spunk that has laid dormant all these years!!! :)

    ReplyDelete