Thursday, December 25, 2008

The Hands of Jesus

I am feeling very grateful today for my mother and the way she taught me the important things. She taught me that if you go walking on the beach on a cold afternoon you can find beautiful shells AND that if you add glue and a little glitter your Christmas tree will one of beauty and delight. She taught me that the things that we have are the things that God will use to bless. Christmas does not have to be expensive to be bountiful. This year was very different. The Advent Conspiracy had a big impact on me. I did worship more, spend less and give more. It was hard sometimes because I love to give gifts to my children and grandchildren. The temptation was real and often to spend more, and then some more. But today as I looked under my tree the pile was not very high. And if was alright. My daughter Gretchen has a little saying she uses about her Christmas shopping for the children "Something you want, something you need, something you wear and something you read." So between her three children that means 12 gifts. But her gifts were creative and the children were not one bit deprived or disappointed. Gretchen made a beautiful dress for Katie with a matching one for Katie's doll. Jon made gun that shots rubber bands for Micah. It was so cute to see Micah all dressed up in his Christmas suit carrying that gun around. Gretchen took a used flower girl dress, added glitter, a crown and some sparklie shoes and Abbie became a princess.
We spent the afternoon at the nursing home. It was awesome. Abbie was so loving toward the residents there. She sang to them and patted them and hugged them with real hugs. The kind of hugs that stick with you. She sat on one woman's lap for quite a long time. When i neared time to go I spoke with Abbie about what she did and thanked her. I asked her if she could see Jesus' hands. She said no and we talked about Jesus using her hands to be His hands.I think she got it. This truth my mother taught me. It is so exciting to see this lived out in this new generation.
So this year there is not a lot of wrapping paper to throw away or sweaters to exchange. The gifts this year are far more enduring and while they will not be exchanged they will be passed on and on and on....

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad your Christmas was so great. We sure missed being with you guys!

    ReplyDelete