Thursday, April 8, 2010

Spring's First Blush



Last Autumn I decided I wanted to plant a flower garden. I have not always been very good with this type of thing. I like instant results. Gardens take time and work and more time.
Steve put up a fence for my garden and I hung a bird feeder from the small live oak that grows in the inside my fence just to the side of the fish pond. I planted bulbs in the fall and those promises I planted are now dancing on my flower beds. Years after I am gone those flowers will be there to welcome whomever is here to see them.
So it is with our lives. What we sow into the lives of those around us will bear witness to future generations as to what kind of seed we sown. How many times do we hear children repeat some unkind or angry words that they learned from us? What children learn from us they will also teach to their children and on down the line. The Bible tells us the that the sins of the father are passed on to the third and fourth generation. I believe this is referring to this very type of thing. But it is also true that our kind words and good behaviours can be passed on to future generations.How wonderful to hear my grandchildren encourage one another.

The fence in my garden keeps my plants safe from loose dogs, loose kids :) and it gives me a defined space to work in and makes me know that I am in my garden. So it is with boundaries in the lives of our children. Children need places of safety. Places where the influences of the outside world can't touch them and places where they know what is expected of them.
Just as my plants need attention, water and sun and pruning and compost, children need to be nurtured. They need attention and provision, they need sunlight and correction. We need to prune away all that would keep them from growing emotionally, physically or spiritually strong. And like my garden, children should be enjoyed. Watch them dance. The seasons are short, don't miss a single blossom.

2 comments:

  1. that made me think of a song by Misty Edwards:

    It's You and me alone God You and me alone
    Here it's You and me alone God You and me alone

    You've hedged me in with skin all around me
    I'm a garden enclosed a locked garden
    Life takes place behind the face.

    So come into Your garden
    Come into Your garden.

    Here O Lord! Have I prepared a place for You!

    I'm no longer my own I'm Your garden

    I don't want to wasted my time living on the outside
    I'm going to live from the inside out
    I don't want to waste my life living on the outside
    I'm going to live from the inside out

    ReplyDelete