Monday, April 26, 2010

Seaglass Christmas







Last week I took a seaglass workshop which was taught by Fran Peel in Manteo the the Dare County Arts Counsel offered. I was excited to get off work on time and didn't miss any of it. My thoughts about working with this art were how much blessing could pour back into Haiti.
The glass was all picked up by my grandchildren (which included the orphaned and abandoned children in my daughter and son in law's home) along a dirty strip of beach in Jacmel, Haiti. I thought that if I could learn this craft then I could go back to Haiti and teach it there allowing for a way for income to be generated in this area. What I didn't know that day was the passion that would be born in me to learn and create and learn and create some more. I have spent countless hours at night sitting at my craft table picking out matching earrings and wrapping wire around glass.
Tonight I decided to try something new. Fran had showed us briefly how to create seaglass nativities. I tried it tonight and was really blessed to see the results. Fran said that the glass selected determines the value of the piece. Well, I really don't know much about what is more valuable. Or really exactly what valuable means.Because really, value is determined but what someone is willing to pay.The value to me is that God can and will take our garbage and make something worthwhile and maybe even pretty from it. But I know that this piece tugs on my heart and I will hate to see it go...but really, it's just a thing. A thing that blessed me to create, will bless someone to buy and give, and will bless the people in a little coastal town in the poorest nation in our hemisphere.

2 comments: