Thursday, January 21, 2010

They just can't "get" it.., Haiti

First let me say what I am about to blog does not intend to suggest that those of you who are my friends and neighbors have done something wrong. What I will write about it what is happening inside of me..in my own head...

For the most part I have managed pretty well to stay calm during this horific week. I have shared with others the many amazing things that God has allowed Gwenn and Nick and the team to be involved with in Haiti. It is easier to talk about CNN and the Wall Street Jounal, air traffic control, sleeping outside than to say "My daugher is in peril of her life." Cause that is a real conversation stopper.
Every minute of every day I am thinking about Haiti. It's people, my family, it's pain, it's desperation. I wonder about some of the friends I have met there. My deaf friends..are they ok? are they alive?? do they have someone to talk to who understands their hands and their hearts??
At work I look at my line of customers who say "How are you?" the customary greeting in the United States that really doesn't expect an honest answer. And I want to shot "My daughter is in Haiti! How should I be?" But I don't I say "I'm fine, how are you doing today?" to which they answer "good." When really are they? Did their mother die last week or was their brother just arrested? I want to talk this thing out but really..they don't get it. Not anymore than I "get it" when someone is going throught a divorce or loosing their home or someone who just lost a baby. So really I understand when they say "How is your daughter?" and then move on to a lighter subject.
Yesterday did not start well. I turned on the computer on the off chance that Gwenn would be on line and I could say "good morning", instead the message come over face book "Haiti hit with a 6.1 aftershock!" I cried and prayed and frantically searched for any info I could find. I called my boss crying and saying I would not be coming in." It was a very few minutes later that Leann assured me that they were all ok. (thank you my precious messanger :)
The rest of the day I was fragile.On my way to my doctor appointment I called up my best friend Candy who lost a child when he was three some 10 years ago. I remembered how important it was for her to talk about her son Micah and how hard it was to do. Because nobody "got it". She helped me to sort out my feeling assureing me that what I was experiecing was a sort of greif even if it did not involve death.
I continued to my manogram appointment (I know..poke your mind's eye out with a stick!) While the tech was doing what she does I said to her "Take some pretty pictures, I don't want any more bad news!" Then I told her "My daughter lives in Haiti." To which she relied " I am from Haiti!" I was floored! She is a very light skinned black woman, not the darker brown that I mostly see in Haiti. She shared with me that she moved her basically for protection in the 1970's. A member of her family had been killed and they feared for their life. She did return often to visit family and friends. Her cousin died in the quake. Her uncle, a surgeon was working non stop in a small town not to far from where my daughter is. Finally, someone who loves Haiti, finally someone who "got it". The sad truth is..I want to think I "got it" for her...but did I?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing your feelings and thoughts with us. Know that every time I hear about another aftershock, I think first of Gwenn, Nick, Leann, Danny, and their families and staff there...then I think of You and Steve, and Gretchen and Melody, and the other families here stateside. Prayers are going out to you all as well. And I know that I don't "get it" completely, because I'm not going through it in the same way that you are, or that your tech is.

    ReplyDelete