Monday, January 25, 2010

Nia's guardian angel in Haiti


Matthew 18:10: Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.

First let me say that I do not believe for even a small second that those who died in Haiti were somehow less spiritual or not as good as my family. Why God choose to allow some to live while others died is not for me to understand. What I do know is that God saved my family and I am humbled and elated about that fact. What I want to share is just a simple story about my six year old grandchild Nia who survived the quake in Haiti.

After my grandchildren were evacuated from Jacmel, Haiti they first went to stay with Nick's parents in Raleigh and are now with me and my husband in Manteo.We are making an effort to see to it that life is as calm and 'normal' as possible. Gretchen, my oldest daughter will keep the children when I am at work and resume their home schooling while their parents continue to work endless hours a day serving the Jacmel community.
At night we read a book, read a bible story, say our prayers, sing a song and then I just hang out with them a little in the darkened room to see if they have anything to share. Something about this routine seems to open up their little hearts to share what is going on inside of them. I don't ask questions I just wait..
Tonight when we spoke of the day I inquired "Wasn't it nice to Skype with Daddy today?" Nico said "No." "No?" I asked. "No." He said. "I want to see daddy in the room." He really is doing so very well but that window opened and let me have a peek into his heart.
So it was last night. Nia brought up the earth quake and was sharing what happened. I said to her "What were you doing when it happened?" She said "I was working on my project. My angel project. You see you take these angels and you print out faces from the computer and you make one for all the people in your family."
All the people in her family?? The bible tells us that "their" (a child's ) angel beholds the face of God. As Nia was crafting her little family angels that day their was in fact angels all around her family. Their powerful arms holding the walls and the ceilings. Angels protecting each member of the team, their families, the staff, their family. All that the glory might go to God. They were saved so that they could save. "guide and protect me through the night and keep me safe til morning light."
A child who I imagine will never see cut out angels quite the same. Thank you Father for sending your angels.

1 comment: