Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The "What if's" of the Mom of a missionary.






Lately I've been busy. Really busy. And while some things are getting done I feel like I have not been very productive. I am having a hard time focusing on work, on home, on prayer and bible study. I am pretty consumed with preparations for plans for our team's trip to Haiti. This morning it is starting to hit me what is really going on. My daughter, her husband and three of my very precious grandchildren are moving Haiti in a very short time. The truth is as much as I completely support this move I think I am experiencing grief in a very deep and real way. I am understanding in a new way what the Bible is talking about when it says that there is a cost to follow Christ. I know all of the logical reasons why this is really not so bad.There is Internet and telephones and airplanes. That logic is not working today. I am so proud of Gwenn and Nick and yet... If this is hard for me how much more bitter sweet is must be for them. "What if.." haunts me.What if my grandchildren forget the fun they have with Nanny, Grandad, Grandma and Grandpa?? the cousins the aunts and uncles?? What if..what if...what if??? I know this is a faith building experience. I know it will be a great life for them and they will be home from time to time.But home is not here. Home is Haiti. I know that many grandparents do not see their grandchildren at all. I know all of this. I think there should be classes for the parents of missionaries. But it wouldn't work cause we would all be blubbering too much and what good would that do?? So if you meet me on the steet and I seem distracted. I am. It is part of the blessing of having obedient children.

4 comments:

  1. I cannot imagine what you are going through at this time. I know your heart for Christ, and I know your heart for your children and grandchildren. Being the stepmom of someone serving in our military (a whole different kind of mission field) overseas - and not having seen my granddaughter in 16 months, and not yet meeting my grandson, I can tell you that the phone and internet help a lot. Airplanes not so much right now, perhaps when they get back stateside. Know you are all in prayer during this transition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Denise, I have a google alert for Parents of Missionaries and that's how I found your blog. Your feelings are very normal! If you're interested in a website with lots of help for POMs, check out http://www.pomnet.org.
    Blessings,
    Diane Stortz
    National Network of Parents of Missionaries

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly how you feel. And even though the hurt is deep, it does get a little easier each day. The day they left was the hardest. Let's stay in touch.

    ReplyDelete