Monday, February 9, 2009

"Come and See!!"



Yesterday after church Steve and I took three of our seven (8) grandchildren to Jockey's Ridge while their parents were at a church meeting. Jockey's Ridge is made up of several of the largest sand dunes on the east coast. The day was beautiful. Coats were optional offering a hint of the season to come. Abbie who is three was the first to reach the summit of the tallest dune. I was last, I figure as Steve would say "had a lot more gravity to deal with". From the top we could look out over the ocean to our east and over the sound to our west. There were many adventures to be had and at one point Katie called out "Three cheers for Nana and Grandad!" to which the three of them joined in with a chorus of six, not three, "Hip,Hip Hooray!!"'s. When I asked Katie she explained "It was three cheers for you and three for grandad."
The kids climbed to the tops of dunes and slid down. They ran and fell and rolled and laughed. Katie and I discussed erosion on the west side by the shore. We came across a very intact bird skeleton that had been picked clean and bleached white in the sun.The children were sure was a dinosaur. They wanted to take it home for science. (It was really an osprey skeleton but dinosaur seemed like a good idea to me.) At one point Micah called out from a distance "Come quick, come and see what I found, follow me!"
At once I was transported in my mind to another time and place. In the book of John, chapter one we learn about the first disciples being called. Philip finds Nathanael and tells him to "Come and see!". He knows he has found something wonderful and wants to share it.
As Micah bid us "Come and see what I found- follow me!" I thought about how much more we who call ourselves by the name Christian or Christ follower should have that kind of excitement. How like Philip we should be seeking out the ones we love and calling them to follow us and see for themselves. It is not enough to just know this wonderful thing. It is so much better to share it with someone you love. Excitement breeds excitement! I can not see for another person but if I am excited about what I have found,my life should be joyful and cause people to want to check out the reason for this joy.
Micah had found what was a treasure to him. A piece of blacktop. Ok...I know not too exciting to you and I. But to him..well he thought it was great. Sometimes people will not understand our relationship with Jesus. But we need to continue our calling while today is called today. "Come follow me-see what I have found!"

2 comments:

  1. That was an awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun and so wonderful! I absolutely loved the dunes when I came to visit. I had never seen anything like it before!!!

    ReplyDelete