Friday, October 22, 2010

What if?? An Advent Challange



When Gwenn spoke at my church a few weeks ago she told us of a Haitian proverb that translates :"God gives but He does not separate."
She also wrote about that today in her blog today at mangine.org . It is a powerful word.
Last night I started to think about the Advent Conspiracy (adventconspiracy.org) and both of these thoughts have been rattling around in my head all day. You may know that Joy in Hope has been doing diaper distribution in the tent cities since shortly after the earth quake. This week they added another camp. While cloth diapers are preferred in these tent camps it it impossible to wash diapers due to the lack water and proper sanitation. With this week's outbreak of Cholera in Haiti this is now an even more urgent need. Face Book friends have been awesome about helping with the diaper collection but this is a hugh ongoing need. Here is what I am challenging:
Go to Youtube and watch:

Let that message rip you up inside. That is what needs to happen. But don't stop there. Make a decision that you can make a difference.
When I was traveling in Haiti in July I started to become overwhelmed by what I saw in Port au Prince. I felt like "There is nothing I can do!!" But God showed me you can't do everything but you can do something. I needed to put my efforts into the something that I could do.
There are many ways to participate in the Advent Conspiracy. One way would be to look at a picture of one baby. Show that picture to your husband, your children, your classmates,your coworkers, Sunday School class and determine that you can help that one baby. You can decide that instead of that overpriced video game or diamond necklace you will make sure that that baby has diapers for one day, one week, one month or even one year. You can help lessen the spread of disease in a tent city with a package of diapers! It is so simple!
You can pray for that baby. You can pray for it's family.
On facebook I have shared a wonderful, easy way to handle the delivery of diapers. You can go to alice.com at:
http://www.alice.com/referral/100572CB
Amazing but true SHIPPING IS FREE! so if you buy a $10.00 package of diapers it cost you $10.00 AND if you spent $50.00 you get a $10.00 credit AND I get 3% back for an entire year on all your purchases allowing me to buy more diapers. Each time family or friends or teams travel to Haiti we load them down with diapers. Each week Gwenn goes to the camps gives out the diapers and checks on the babies.It's very personal and very real.
Some of you may want to send support thought joyinhope.org to Project Connection to help pay for the extra baggage costs that we sometimes have to pay..
The beauty is...this is the conspiracy...it's about giving from the heart. It's about rejecting the Christmas that is and embracing the Christmas as it can be. I promise you if you Worship More, Spend Less and Give More you will have the best Christmas of your life! It makes me feel just like a kid again! Bring on the Christmas music I'm ready!!!
Here is a link to Gwenn explaining the work in the tent city. There are now three camps where they are serving:

No comments:

Post a Comment