Saturday, October 16, 2010

Hanging out with my Dad


Melody Goodale Strayer is ridiculously excited that her Daddy is coming to visit. Ridiculously.

This was my daughter Melody's status on Face Book a few days ago. I love that she loves to spend time with Steve. All of my daughter's are like that. It's not that they do anything big or exciting. They just are. He listens to them and encourages them and well just hangs out with them.
I didn't have that with my Dad. He left when I was four and I saw him once or twice a year after that. Those times it was always an event and not just hanging out time. I didn't really know him and he didn't really know me. When he became ill I went to visit him in Texas. I loved that we sat on his bed and he told me stories and showed me pictures and we .. well.. we just hung out. How thankful I am to have had those few days.
Today I worked until about 2PM then came home and had some lunch. Because Steve is "hanging out" with Melody in PA I had some time to just be alone. I hopped in the car and drove down to the sound to look for beach glass. The day was cool and breezy and sunny. A perfect Autumn day. As I felt the wind in my face I started to be aware that just as Melody was having some time to "hang out" with her Daddy so I too was having some Daddy time with my Father God. I drove to the next beach and then finally to the ocean beach. I talked with my Daddy God about lots of things. We spoke of hidden treasures and surprises that He had for me. We spoke of grace and mercy and repentance. We talked about friends and people who have gone so far down wrong roads that I think maybe they can't come back. He reminded me that His kindness can bring them back.We talked about broken families and broken dreams. We walked and talked and we just hung out. Like Melody I would have to say that I was "ridiculously excited" to have this time with my Daddy God. As the shadows started to become longer I went back to the sound and watched the sun disappear below the horizon. Deeply satisfied to have had such a wonderful visit I look forward to our next time to just hand out.

No comments:

Post a Comment