Monday, November 24, 2008

Pray it Forward. My Advent Conspiracy

Christmas 2008
I love Christmas. The music, the lights the bangles and bells, the Christmas pageants and candlelight services.But it seems that as each Christmas approaches I DO things to try and capture or recreate that sense of wonder that I had as a child. I never seem to really meet that expectation and always seem to fall short of that childlike excitement and enthusiasm. This year something has happened to me that has changed all that. My daughter Gwenn sent me a link to a short Youtube video called “The Advent Conspiracy”. I am not sure exactly what happened but it changed my whole out look on Christmas. I gave me back the desire to give creatively . I find myself asking God how He can You use me in a more effective way and He is filling my my and heart with His Christmas. So is born Pray it forward.
This is how I see this working. I have several jars of wonderful vanilla that my daughter and son-in-law brought home from Haiti. I am gathering together with my oldest daughter and her children and my best friend and her daughter. We will spend the afternoon on the first day of advent making Christmas cookies. Then I will package up as many batches of cookies as I have bottles of vanilla. I will prayerfully decide who should get these and then I will pray for them before I give them this gift. For each gift I give I will make a donation to the Haitian Children's Home. I will enclose information about this mission in the box with the vanilla. Those who receive this gift will be asked to use the vanilla to make a treat for someone on their gift list and then "Pray it forward." If each person were to make a donation instead of buying a gift then even the smallest of donations would grow and bless in a big way. I will also encourage those who pass forward this blessing to pray for each person down the road who will one day receive this bottle of vanilla. Just as Jesus said "I do not only pray for these, but for those who will believe after them." (my paraphrase)
I will use this blog for people to post pictures of their baking projects, testimonies and maybe even a running total of donations given.
I know this can work. I believe God gave me this idea. I am hoping Gwenn can bring me more vanilla but for now I will begin with the 11 bottles I have.
Do you remember when God asked Moses "What do you have in your hand?" (refering to his staff) I believe that God is asking this generation of His children to use that which is in their hand, no matter how big or small, to bless the world. We can use our talents and passions to bless others. My neice has an aution on ebay right now where she is auction an original art work to help raise funds for the Haitian Children's home. Our God is a creative God. Children are dying and we CAN make a difference. You don't need vanilla. You need a heart that is ready to say "Lord what would you have me do?" He will show you. This Christmas can be different. Don't let THEM tell you otherwise. So I ask you.."What is in your hand?"
Haitianchildrenshome.org/mangine

1 comment:

  1. "What is in your hand" - a great thing to think about! Especially as we grow older.... yuk... lets just say grow :-). Or better yet - mature. :-) :-)

    Because we find we have something different "in our hands" to use for God.

    I think we get discouraged when we keep trying to use what we used to have..... and may have lost some of those abilities. Yet - God creates new and wonderful opportunities for us all the time.

    (this is a lesson I needed to learn myself! )

    Let the season begin! :-)

    ReplyDelete