Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Processing it all.

Every year I write a Christmas letter. Maybe I should consider penning one for Easter. So much has happened since I put up the ornaments and took down the tree. It has not been a great 3 months in many ways. But still, I see God's hand upon my family in an amazing way. And I am thankful. My body is reacting to the stress and I am glad to take a few days to process things. I have learned/am learning about priorites. The things that I have are just things. I don't need them. Getting my hair cut the other day my beautician asked what I wanted to do. "Just cut it. Any way you want as long as I can pull it back." These things just don't matter.
One year ago Easter I was in Haiti for my first time. I loved it. My daughters Gretchen and Gwenn were with me. I saw such incredible poverty but loved Jacmel and it's people. Those people are suffering. Gwenn and her family and the other missionaries and the children of the orphanage have lost so much. That's important. Not my haircut.
We could have lost my daughter Gretchen this past week. Watching her hooked up to a breathing machine and knowing I could loose her. That's important. As we cared for her newborn and her other 3 children I thought of how much I depended on her. I found myself with questions during the week and thought "I'll call Gretchen, she will know..Oh.I can't."
I always knew but now know more that family is so very imortant. And family isn't always what what the word describs in the dictionary. So many have risen to the occasion first after the earthquake and again with Gretchen's illness.
So while my body and my mind ache and sleep calls to me even though I napped long today, I am thankful. Hoping that there will be no more major events for my 2010 Christmas card and praying for sustained health for Gretchen and for the 'stuff' it will take to recreate Haiti.

3 comments:

  1. I cannot begin to imagine what you all have gone/are going through. Know that you are in prayer through it all. We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace and Peace Denise. God has a special special anointing on you and your family... well for all of us... but you know what I mean... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lord,
    I lift up my friend Denise to You. I ask that you would be with her right now. I ask you to bless her and keep her. I ask that you would comfort her and encourage her. Help her to get rest and give her strength from this rest.
    Thank you that her daughter is better. I ask that she would continue to get stronger and stay well.
    God, I know in the midst of so much trouble and suffering, that You are in in control, that You are merciful, and that You love us. Comfort this family with these truths. Comfort the Haitian people with these truths.
    I pray in Jesus precious name....

    ReplyDelete