Wednesday, March 11, 2009

"Up the Beach,Down the Banks"

I had to go up the beach (for those of you non-Outer Banker's that means over a few bridges and to the area of land that lies just west of the ocean where all the business are. I can even say I am going "to the beach" and that does not necessarily mean I am going ...well...to the beach..)So as I was saying I had to go up the beach (meaning north because if i was going "down the beach" or "down the banks" that would be completely different :) After my appointment "up the beach" I decided to go "to the beach".(This time meaning to the ..well..the beach.) The day was warm and there was pretty stiff breeze. I left my shoes and my coat in the car and began to think about my Mom. I was raised in Southampton,Long Island (NY). Very often my mom would buy a cup of coffee, (one coffee, light, no sugar, to go) and we would park at the ocean. She said she just needed to go see it and then watch it and make sure it was still there.
When I first moved to the Outer Banks in Sept of 95 I often would take the 10 minute ride on my lunch break to go and just sit and watch the waves. I didn't care that it was getting cold.It was just so peaceful..and it was nice to know that "it was still there".
Time has a way of desensitizing us I guess. As I took my long, delightful walk today I realized that I only remember one time that I have even gone to "the beach" since last summer. There was a storm coming and I took Katie , I think it was her, to see the water churned up.
So many times I get so used to living in such a great place that I guess I just take it for granted. A few weeks ago we climbed Jockey's Ridge, this past Sunday we went hiking with the kids on the North End (umm...that would be the north end of Roanoke Island..)I am a short walk to the aquarium and the sound beach.
Today I talked to God. I thanked Him for his beautiful work. I am so reminded that the simple pleasures are waiting to be enjoyed. I did not clean today! HORRORS! My self imposed belief that I must spend my entire day off cleaning has to go! I loved my walk on the beach. I will do it again..
Anyone want to join me. The dishes can wait.

2 comments:

  1. I understand. When we lived in SC, I worked 1 mile from the beach - but by the time I got off work, I just wanted to go home. Now that I'm in the center of the country, I really miss "my" ocean. So when we went east last month, I took the time to walk in the ocean when we were in SC, and to thank God for having made it as well as the landscape I'm now getting used to here. Yes, it was cold - but I needed it - the feel, the sound, the smell - and to be sure it was still there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thankful for memories, even the painful ones. I have a pair of my grandmothers sneakers that squeak when I walk in them... but I don't mind because it makes me feel like she is with me somehow

    Yes, the house cleaning will wait. Enjoy today TODAY. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete