Friday, March 13, 2009

Spring's first offering

A few weeks ago 7 year old Katie came rushing in the back door shouting "Nan, Look what I picked for you!" In her hand she held a tender yellow crocus. The first fruit of the season. At once I remember Arlene..We lived side by side for several years. Each with our babies and small children and husbands who worked many hours.We spent many afternoons visiting in the back yards while the children played. Arlene was several years older than me but we were close friends. I remember one afternoon one September when she planted spring bulbs.The yard was rather bland and she looked forward to the promise of the following Spring when she would see her labor rewarded. As so often happens in modern America, Arlene's husband was called to take a new job several states away. We helped them pack the Ryder truck as the children played in the shade of a small tree.Arlene left before the flowers first bloom. I wrote the following when I was blessed by their dance.
Arlene's flowers bloomed today
They didn't know she'd gone away
So faithfully they raised their heads
To dance upon her flower bed
And cause a friend to remember
Arlene's labor that warm September
She sowed the bulbs into the earth
Not knowing that the blossom's birth
Would not dance for her to see
But whisper sweet...."Remember me."

1 comment:

  1. It's funny-- I can never remember the whole poem, but whenever I see the first daffodils up here, I always think "Arlene's flowers bloomed today..." :)

    ReplyDelete