Thursday, March 26, 2009

The End of the Spear

Tonight at Youth Group we watched the movie "The End of the Spear". This movie is about the Mission Team that was speared and killed by the natives they tried to minister to. It is a powerful story of redemption.
At the end of the movie the youth pastor spoke of being called to the mission field and ask for a show of hands of kids who felt like they are being called. There was much emotion and tears and prayer. As wonderful as that was I could already at this tender age hear the excuses or "reasons" why these teens could not respond. "My parents won't let me." "I have cheer leading camp that week." and things like "I want to go to the jungle." At one point I asked a few girls who were there is they had a passport. They did not. So I said "If you are serious about missions than that is the first step. Take you babysitting money and get a passport so you are ready when you are called."I felt almost dismissed after sharing this suggestion. I told them if they want to be involved in misssion work than get behind someone who is going out and help them raise the funds.
No doubt of this group there could be one or maybe even two kids (there were about 80 kids there) who will answer the call of the mission field. Those are the ones that will apply what that have and what they are to disipline of becoming a missionary. Wathching my daughter and son in law prepare for the mission field makes this all very ovious to me.Prepaing for mission work is a hard work of discipline and application of all the things you know to be true from study of the Word of God.
If we all went to the mission field based on the emotions no doubt the field would bew full of missionaries without training to show them selves approaved.
I hope these kids will follow Jesus wherever He leads. I pray they will prepare for that call.

1 comment:

  1. I was one of those who had excuses and reasons. I was supposed to go to Paraguay the summer after my senior year and was too self absorbed to follow through. It's something I've regretted. I too need to take the first step to get a passport. Thanks for your challenging and encouraging posts

    ReplyDelete