Thursday, February 4, 2010

Unsung Hero






No doubt my daughter Gwenn has been in the family limelight lately. What she is doing in Haiti has been truly remarkable. To say that we are all proud of what God is doing through her would be an understatement. But tonight I am thinking of my oldest daughter Gretchen.
Gretchen was 20 months old when Gwenn erupted into her perfect world. No longer was she the center of out family universe. Now she had to share the glory with a baby who had "tiny little fingers" as Gretchen said. And she did it graciously. Gretchen welcomed her baby sister and they became friends. Gretchen was Mary and Gwenn was Laura of the Little House on the Prairie books. Over the years they have done various noteworthy things and have supported each other in everything.
So now when Gwenn is in the midst of the hardest thing any of us has ever encountered Gretchen is here in the US supporting her little sister. When Gwenn's children were evacuated from Haiti I don't even remember asking Gretchen if she would help with the kids. I knew she would. So each day as I go to work Gretchen has her three children and Gwenn's three children. And Gretchen is nearly 8 months pregnant. And she is homeschooling the children. She is a super mom/aunt/daughter/sister to be sure.I have not heard her complain or whine.
What Gretchen is doing is allowing Gwenn to do what she is doing.
Another day I will talk about my other daughter Merry Melody cause she is pretty cool too...but that is another story.
Today I say thank you Gretchen your love and support for your little sister have not gone unnoticed.

6 comments:

  1. Can I get in on the thanking too? Gretchen, you don't know me and I know that Gwenn is your sister...but what you are doing is fantastic and very hard.

    I am the husband of a homeschool mom of three, who is NOT pregnant, who is NOT being "Super-Aunt" and I see how much she gives daily. So my prayers and thanks go to you for the sacrifice and love you are pouring out on your sister and brother-in-law through loving their children. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Mommy...I think you're pretty super, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gretchen... you really are super-woman! Thanks for watching the kiddos... They do have a great family... But I must say that the New York crew is sad that we won't get to spend any time with them. Give them big hugs and kisses for us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said Mama. Couldn't agree more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it's true. Gretchen is one of the toughest chicas I know!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a "friend" of Gretchen online and I have to say you must be a pretty awesome mama to raise such awesome children. Praying God's blessings on your family.

    ReplyDelete