Tuesday, February 2, 2010

From Manteo with love. Haiti relief.



The first time I ever visited Manteo I loved it. It was unlike so many 'beach' towns that sometimes seem to just be a mile of strip malls and miniature golf courses. It had character and a very homey feeling to it even then. Since then even with all the new growth it has maintained charm and character and really it is even more beautiful than before.The greatest charm of this sweet little town and this sweet little island is her people. Truly island people who come together in community on all occasions. Good times and hard times the community responds.
When the earthquake struck Haiti three weeks ago tonight the phone calls started. Friends and family from all over calling me to see how my daughter and her family were, wondering if I heard from them and asking how they could help. My Manteo friends and neighbors were right there with prayers and encouragements and checks. I was sharing with a man who is a friend that I met at the Post Office that I wanted to make up canisters to take to the local businesses to raise funds for relief in Haiti. He said "You have enough on your plate, let me do that." So Dennis designed these great canisters and this Sunday Nia (my granddaughter who is visiting from Haiti) went to a few places to drop off canisters. We prayed over them first and I prayed for favor and that God would open people's hearts to give. Nia prayed that she would not be shy and that she could ask the business people to help her family and her town. She was so sweet. "Hello, my name is Nia Mangine. I live in Haiti. I was there for the earthquake. I want to help my family and my town. Could we leave a canister in your store to collect money?" I gave her an idea what to say but she put it together flawlessly. So, before we bought lunch at the local Subway Nia spoke to the woman behind the counter. The canister was accepted gladly and the clerk dropped in money from her own pocket right away. Not 48 hrs. later I got a message on my phone "Can you please bring down another canister?? This was is full!" The money has not been counted yet (thank you Jesus for coin counting machines in banks!) but the can was so full the coins were sticking out the top! When I poured it out on the table I could not believe that so much had fit in the canister.I thought that maybe someone had emptied their coin jar from home but the manager said it was all from customers. God is already answering the prayers that Nia and I prayed. What joy it was to let her hold the can and see how heavy it was.
It is such a blessing to live in a little coastal village who cares about another little coastal village and steps up to offer help.
I love Manteo, NC. I love Jacmel, Haiti.

1 comment: