Sunday, September 27, 2009

A Place of Their Own




Children love little places to call their own. When I was a child there were two very special places that were just "for us". The wonderful world of childhood shared with my cousins. Uncle Arty built the tree house when his oldest children were small. He didn't imagine that generations would find such joy in that little red tree house overlooking the beautiful lake. We pretended there. Told secrets there. Sang songs and made up games. Sometimes we even slept there. Uncle Charlie also built us "a place of our own". Oh..I know he built it for his 6 children but I also know he built it for all of us. This little red house was not in a tree but it was every bit as wonderful a fort and private place to pretend. Uncle Charlie's house also had other secret spots to hide out in. A large bush that was just next to the privet hedge in the back corner of the yard made a great shade fort to spy on the world outside where we were sure they had no idea we were there.
So inspired my own need to create "spaces" for my grandchildren. Our play house is perhaps my favorite thing about my property. I love to listen on the baby monitor as the children use accents and grown up voices in their play times. I love to hear the record player playing Christmas music or James Taylor, often on the wrong speed.( what does this generation know about turntables??) This children's place is everything I remember my childhood memories to be.
With the birth of my new garden space there is another new favorite spot for the grandchildren. I cleared out a space in the wooded area at the back of the garden. Katie helped me as the "littles" napped. All the brambles cleared and the pine needles swept, a little secret garden has emerged from a ugly overgrown woodland. There is a climbing tree in it's midst and enough space for a bench and a small garden table. A fairy statue and a fairy box is nestled in the corner. In the late afternoon the sun angled just right and a sunbeam magically lights up just that one little spot. It's magical. It's quiet, and small and it is childhood captured.

1 comment:

  1. Oh that's a wonderful idea! Children need places to play where their imaginations can be encouraged to flourish! What a great grandma thing to do!

    ReplyDelete